Health Benefits of Sugarcane Juice
The sugarcane juice is one of the safest and healthiest forms of sugar, if consumed in moderation. Here are the “TOP 10 HEALTH BENEFITS OF SUGARCANE JUICE” which are scientifically proven and you will be literally amazed to know them. Excited? Let’s get started!
Brief About Sugarcane Juice
- Sugarcane which is scientifically known as ‘Saccharum officinarum’ which is derived from the greek word ‘Sakcharon’ which means sugar or sucrose. It is said so because sugarcane is characterised by its sweet taste due to its high sucrose content.
- Sugarcane is an indigenous crop to tropical Southeast Asia and South Asia. In the Traditional Indian Medicine System of India-Ayurveda, sugarcane has always been used as a single drug or in combination with some other plant materials to cure and prevent several diseases. And now the modern pharmacological studies are also getting inlined with the Ayurvedic approach about sugarcane’s medicinal benefits.
- Sugarcane is extremely rich in various phytochemicals, minerals and it is one of the healthiest ways to consume sweet. It has high and healthy amounts of sugar, chlorogenic acid, cinnamic acid, fatty acids, flavones, polyphenolic compounds, sodium, potassium, calcium, magnesium, etc. Due to its high antioxidant and phytochemical profile, it helps to cure and prevent several diseases which you will get to know later in this blog.
Top 10 Health Benefits of Sugarcane Juice
1. Benefits of Sugarcane Juice for Skin
Sugarcane juice helps in the beautification of the skin and it is really effective. Sugarcane juice is extremely rich in antioxidants, anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties which reduces inflammation and makes the skin lustrous. 10 Amazing Benefits of Aloe Vera
2. Benefits of Sugarcane Juice for Digestion
Sugarcane juice also acts as a laxative and aids the digestive system. Due to its high antioxidant, antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties it soothes the digestive system. How To Improve Digestion? The Perfect Guide 101
3. Anti-Cancer Potential
Sugarcane juice has been observed to have anti-carcinogenic properties. A research published in the journal, Plos One reported that the Polyphenol-Rich Sugarcane Extract (PRSE)-a natural extract which is derived from the sugarcane, exerted anti-cancer properties on different types of cancer cells like ovarian cancer, human lung cancer, mouse melanoma and pro-monocytic human leukemia. Benefits of Neem to the Human Body and the Nature
4. Benefits of Sugarcane Juice for Diabetes
Sugarcane juice exhibits anti-diabetic effect as well and helps to control the blood sugar levels. A study published in the journal, Plos One showed that the ethanol extract of both, sugarcane dried leaves and stem depicted hypoglycemic properties against alloxan-induced hyperglycemia in the rabits given at a dose of 1 gm/kg and 60 mg/animal, respectively.
However, the leaves produced weak activation against it and the juice of dried stems exhibited anti-hyperglycemic activity when it was administered intraperitoneally to the mice at a dose of 200 mg/kg.
[NOTE:- Sugarcane juice has high amounts of sugar which may spike blood sugar levels because of which it is always advisable to consult a doctor before consuming it as a diabetic patient.]
5. Improves Brain Functioning
Research has indicated that sugarcane juice enhances either the spontaneous or the evoked ACh (Acetylcholine) release to a small extent. And acetylcholine is responsible to play various roles in the body like memory, focus level, arousal, learning and involuntary muscle movement.
Furthermore, a study also revealed that the sugarcane juice increased the rate of conformational changes at the nicotin receptor channel complex, which confirmed the release of ACh. Hence, sugarcane juice consumption may improve your brain functioning. However, more studies are required.
6. Ensures Liver Health
Sugarcane juice contains various phytochemicals, especially flavonoids and anthocyanins which possess strong antioxidant properties and provide hepatoprotection, which ensures good liver health.
A study published in the journal, Pharmacology Review showed that the aqueous extract of dried stems of sugarcane given to mice at a dose of 25 mg/kg, worked actively against the chloroform-induced hepatotoxicity. 11 Evidence-Based Benefits of Giloy
7. Kidney Protection
The sugarcane juice has a diuretic effect which helps the kidney to function better. A research observed diuretic activity in the ethanol extract (50%) of fresh leaves of sugarcane , given to the rats at a dose of 40 ml/kg.
The diuretic effect helps in releasing more wastes and sodium into the urine, hence optimising the function of the kidney and cleanses the body.
8. Improves Cholesterol Levels
The consumption of sugarcane juice helps to improve the lipid profile and cholesterol levels of an individual due to its anti-hypercholesterolemic effect.
A Randomized Controlled Trial (RCT) reported that the oral dosage of sugarcane juice at a dosage of 5-200 mg/kg for 4 weeks to normocholesterolemic New Zealand rabbits induced reduction in the total cholesterol levels and LDL-C (Low-Density-Lipoprotein Cholesterol) in a dose-dependent manner.
9. Natural Energy Drink
A full glass of sugarcane juice is much more effective than any sports drink or energy drink. Moreover, it is provided by our very own, Mother Nature and has numerous health benefits over a normal energy drink which makes it even more healthy.
A study published in the Asian Journal of Sports Medicine reported that ingestion of ScJ (Sugarcane Juice) significantly increased the blood glucose levels of 15 male athletes during and after the exercise compared to SpD (Sports Drink) and PW (Plain Water).
On top of that, no significant difference was found between plain water, sports drink and sugarcane juice for total exercise time, heart rate, blood lactate and plasma volume. Top 5 Scientifically Proven Benefits of Coconut Water
10. Other Potential Health Benefits of Sugarcane Juice
Following are some more potential health benefits of sugarcane juice:
- Sugarcane juice is used to treat people suffering from jaundice.
- Sugarcane juice is also extremely beneficial to treat sexually transmitted diseases.
- Sugarcane juice contains 70-75% water and 10-15% fibre as a result it is suggested to urinary tract infection patients as well because they are suggested to have large intakes of water. Moreover, a concoction of sugarcane juice, coconut water and lemon does wonders to them.
- Pregnant women are advised to have sugarcane juice with ginger during pregnancy, morning sickness and constipation.
How much sugarcane juice in a day?
It is very important to consume sugarcane juice in moderation so as to get all the health benefits safely while still maintaining our health and fitness level. A glass/cup of 250 ml of sugarcane juice is a safe and healthy way to consume it and you can also consume it regularly at this much amount, if not suffering from diabetes because in that case doctor’s consultancy is extremely important.
Sugarcane juice is nature’s self-made energy drink which enables an individual to fulfil his/her craving for sweets while keeping their health and fitness goals in check. Controlled and regular consumption of sugarcane juice is extremely healthy, safe and relishing. After reading these “10 Scientifically-Proven Health Benefits of Sugarcane Juice” you will be easily convinced to have sugarcane juice as a part of your daily lifestyle and diet.